Would your practice survive a $76,000 OSHA fine? Regulatory compliance not only ensures the safety of the patients, dental team, and dentist, it also protects the practice financially. Below are common areas of violation that can expose your practice to fines, lawsuits, or worse. Use the checklist below as a mini-audit for your practice. If there are any areas of concern, your Henry Schein representative can schedule a training session for the team.
- Are employees offered the Hepatitis B vaccination complimentary and within 10 days of task assignment?
- Do you have a written exposure control plan for bloodborne pathogens that is accessible to all employees?
- Are employees trained on Globally Harmonized System (GHS)?
- Are lab coats and/or gowns worn and changed when visibly soiled and at the end of the day?
- Is water in each operatory tested to ensure < 500 CFUs of bacteria per ml?
- Have you appointed a HIPAA Coordinator, Transaction Compliance Officer, Privacy Officer, Security Officer, and Practice Executive?
- Have Business Associate Agreements been signed by all business associates as defined by HIPAA law?
- A Security Risk Assessment has been performed, a Gap Assessment completed, and security risks addressed.
- Copy and fax machines settings are adjusted to not store data on their internal hard drives.
- Is your Basic Life Support training program designed specifically for healthcare providers?
- Does your training provide the dental team with the ability to recognize life-threatening emergencies, provide CPR, use an AED, and relieve choking in a safe, timely and effective manner?
- Do you have a physician prescription or medical direction for your AED?
- Do you track AED pad and battery expiration dates?
- Do you have a Policy Manual/Employee Handbook that is updated annually?
- Do you have updated job descriptions for each position in the practice?
- Do you have a signed Employment Agreement and Acknowledgment form from every employee?
- Are you clear about disciplinary restrictions regarding “Protected Concerted Activities”?
- Do you routinely pay wages, applicable travel time, seminar attendance fees, and expenses when employees attend CE events?